ECSTATIC DANCE BOSTON
Nowadays, dance is seen mostly as a technique or a form or art, which one needs to learn or have a talent for. However, in the history of mankind, dance used to play an important role for cultures all around the world – it assisted people in solving conflicts, celebrating important events, honoring natural cycles, and it was an important part of religious rituals but mainly, it strengthened people’s feeling of belonging and helped them to move energy improve health and become closer to each other.
A free, formless dance is extremely liberating. It has a power to free our minds, while it can also be a great alternative to a heavy cardio training, thanks to which endorphins are being released to our body, making us feel joyful, happy and light.
Ecstatic Dance originated in Hawaii, from where it spread to San Francisco Bay Area, California and further to the whole world. It offers a possibility to step out of our daily routines for couple of hours, to feel our bodies fully, and to connect to our inner selves.
A combination of factors allows Ecstatic Dance to offer such a safe space, where all honor and respect each other, people relax and become fully present:
- We dance to the music of different genres, tempos and emotions. The music forms a journey, which invites us and helps us to fully express ourselves in dance. This journey is carefully crated by ecstatic dance DJs who are proficient in providing a musical space for full expression.
- We dance in a beautiful warm dance hall with clean wooden floor and a pleasant atmosphere.
- We open and close our dance journey together in a circle and have a short warm-up before the start.
- We dance barefoot, without talking and for our own joy. Together we create a safe atmosphere, without staring at each other. Each person’s dance helps to make the others feel safe, relaxed and tuned in.
- We dance on our own or with a partner but at all times we are aware of each other's desire to dance as they wish, together or alone and respectful of this through offering invitation and inviting truthful gentle response.
- We dance without the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- We do not take pictures or videos at the dance floor.
We hope that by now it's clear that Ecstatic Dance is really for everyone: professionals, students, servers, parents, technicians, old, young, hipsters and hippies, nerds or cosmonauts. Ecstatic Dance is not about the steps, technique or looks – it's about letting your body move as it wants to... getting excursive and uplifting your emotional state.
WHAT TO BRING
Bring comfortable clothes for dancing, yoga attire is great! We dance barefoot. (cloth soled dance shoes acceptable) Water bottle and maybe a light snack for energy!
7:00 pm - Arrival
7:30 - Opening Circle & Dance Lab
8:30 - DJ’d Ecstatic Dance
10:00 - Sound Scape Integration
10:15 - Closing Circle
We're always looking to bring new artists, facilitators, and space holders to co-create Ecstatic Dance Boston! Message us if you may be interested in any of the following paid or work exchange positions...
Follow us at www.facebook.com/EcsaticDanceBoston
Join our community at www.facebook.com/groups/ Find us on Instagram at EcstaticDanceBoston
Other dances happening in the Boston Area include:
Dance Friday (weekly Friday nights), I-Opener Boston (Sunday mornings once at month), Boston Contact Jam (weekly Tuesday nights), and Nectar (bi-weekly, Sunday afternoons)
“Dance is a conversation between body and soul”
See you on the dance floor!!